Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 5: Heading Home/Finding Home

The gavel has come down officially closing GS28.  Over the next 24 hours, thousands of delegates and visitors will be packing their bags, saying their good-byes, and heading to their respective homes -- which are as close as Florida and as far away as Africa.


Personally, I am ready to head back to Massachusetts – GS is exhausting, from the 7 am breakfast meetings to the nights of hearings, resolutions, amendments, and votes, and I am ready to get back to my normal schedule, early bedtimes, and home cooking. 

But thinking of heading home reminds me of the stories I have heard these past few days from newcomers to the United Church of Christ, and their different narratives have the common theme of finding home.  Repeatedly, I heard people talk of coming from different faith traditions -- in which they felt judged, marginalized, and rejected – and finding their way to a UCC church, where they have been extravagantly welcomed.  Home.

May we all return safely to our respective homes.  And may our churches be places where all may find a home.